Monday, November 16, 2009

HOW TO SAY MY NAME ?

Many non-Indonesian people didn’t know how to say my name (and I think you didn’t know either :D )

My real name is Dyah Prabaningrum. My grandpa gave me the name because he thought that was a very good name. It was taken from old Javanese languange. “dyah” means “lady” and “prabaningrum” is from 2 words, that is Praba means “lantern” or “beacon” and “ningrum” means “woman”. For my family, my name is such a beautiful name, but I never think that was a nice name to call anyway :D…It because not many people (sometimes Indonesian people) knows how to write and to say my name correctly (which could make a weird meaning by that). For example, they often write my name as “diah”, which actually replacing “y” with “i” is a HUGE mistake. “diah” (according to my grandpa) has no proper meaning. Then, MOST of people make mistake to write “prabaningrum” into “purbaningrum”. And I’m really sick about it. “purba” sometimes associated with “old”, “ancient”, and many things from pre-historic period (although in Bahasa Indonesia, purba means old and ancient, few Indonesian people use it as name), and it’s totally different than “praba” meaning.

Many foreign people with non-Indonesian and Malay languange speaking, don’t know how to say my name. Well, Indonesian usually use their first name as their nickname. My nickname is Dyah. Dyah is just similar with when you’re saying “Dee-Ah”. The next one is Prabaningrum, is just similar with when you’re saying “Pra – Bah – Ning (is like “ninguem” in Brazilian Portuguese) – Room”.

Incorrect writing and saying name sometimes makes someone feel disturbed. So I think it’s important for us to notice our friends name, so we could write and say it correctly. To know and call people name could make a great “chemistry” among friends, so write it and say it correctly with love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment